Friday, January 16, 2009

Variety of Casteism

Caste system categories

  • People
  • Clothes
  • Food
  • Language

    When I was a kid, People around me talked about caste, as in if you meet someone new we usually ask whats your name and once told itsi easy to judge from the last name what caste the person belongs to. Some people ask on their faces what caste you belong too. The main idea behind it is that people don’t do much about it but its better to know about it.

    I hated this part of introduction. I think it is caste-ism if you ask someone’s name and then judge what caste he/she is and then further continue the conversation. I think it is demeaning to do that. I wish I could answer them as I belong to human caste and how about you?

    Since I was a child I had no say as my words were not that important or not that worth or not taken seriously. I always knew I will change this thinking when I grow old. Now as an adult now things have changed but taken a different form. Now no one asks about what caste, they ask some one else what caste is that guy from and then talk. People seem to change right? As I said things have taken different form here it is.

    There is caste-ism in different arenas in life now. Caste-ism among people (the old famous, most popular one), Caste-ism among food and Caste-ism among Language.
    I know you must be wondering what am I talking about.

    Caste-ism among Food.

    Same food is named differently in different castes, note I am not saying different food is called different in different languages. People who belong to same caste but fall under sub-division, sub-caste say it differently. People not only notice it but say it out loud as if “ no this is not how you say it, this is how you say it, or this is what it is called”. Again I think this is demeaning too. Unless and until you understand what the other person is referring to it should be okay, but everybody wants to make a point and don't want to consider others views.

    Caste-ism among Language.

    India is full of diversity, as you go from village to village, city to city, state to state, things change.
    Things like people, outfits, eating habits, food, etc… one can make this out easily. If simple things like thess change language also change shouldn't it? What I mean by this is, ofcourse there has to be a different word for book, paper, pen, food items, etc…
    I don’t have any problems people calling things differently problem lies when they make a big issue out of it. Oh my god they call roti for chapatti, or they call poli for chapatti, etc…
    Why do have to argue on these pitty issues. As you are free to call anything by any name they are too and no one here is right, or owns the ownership to decide who is right and who is not.

I dont know when can people mature and get over these things, there are lot many things in the world to concentrate your energy.

I hope things change sometime in future, sadly I am trying to change things but haven't won the battle yet.

3 comments:

  1. boss solid philosophical zaalis tu. what a change

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real challenge is to maintain the diversity and not the divide.
    It is difficult, one cannot ask all colours to merge into white. That is the fun you meet a person from another part of the world or the country or even the same state...but this becomes ugly when you have no tolerance towards others' beliefs and customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why u r not said that you r pawar ..

    ReplyDelete